Wednesday 11 November 2015

LLED 462 Learning Curation Module 8: Web 2.0 Tools

For my 6th learning curation prompt, I decided to use Symbaloo to collect resources for my Web 2.0 Toolkit as part of Module 8.

The link to my Symbaloo is here. I have set up 4 corners of the Symbaloo into 4 different categories, going clockwise: network, present, curate, create. As I'm starting to gather more tools as I hear about them, I'm seeing that some fit into more than one category (awesome!) I'm think that eventually I'll set up different webmixes for each category. As a visual person I definitely like using Symbaloo better than Delicious, which is what I have used to curate articles and webpages. Since there are so many web 2.0 tools out there, I love the idea of having them all in one spot as it can be easy to forget about them!

Experimenting!

After having used Padlet in Module 7 to curate thoughts and resources on networking with colleagues, I began to think about ways I could use this with students, especially the intermediate classes, and how I could relate it to my 21st century learner essential question. Of course, Padlet offers opportunities to share thoughts and digital content, giving students a chance to practice uploading pictures and videos, as well as articulate themselves effectively online. As a basic starter, I thought that I could create a page for the Surrey Book of the Year (or Picture Book of the Year for the grade 4s) and have students write short book reviews/discussions of each book.

I also love making book trailers, and have always just used iMovie, but I like the idea of using Powtoon as an alternative now that I've experimented with it in Module 2. However, the issue of creating student accounts and moderating them all is a bit of a deterrent, so I would like to investigate and see what other teachers have done to make that portion easier.

I have also used Wordle in the past in English classes for various assignments from character sketches to themes; what I have always wanted to do is use Wordle to teach the Dewey Decimal sections and getting students to think about what is included in each category and why.


Image courtesy of: https://readingtech.wikispaces.com/file/view/900sWordle.jpg/77179727/540x269/900sWordle.jpg


I am about to collaborate with a grade 2 teacher on an animal project (the new curriculum is including metamorphosis; for example, a baby frog looks nothing like an adult frog, whereas baby humans look like adult humans.) I have used Book Creator on the iPads for an animal project before, in which students wrote a book about their animal with facts and photos, but since we are discussing more about transformation now, I'm wondering if something like Storybird would be a interesting way for students to tell the "story" of how their animal develops, maybe including their thoughts and feelings at each stage. To be continued...

1 comment: